This morning’s news about the fire at Grenfell Tower in London is shocking and our thoughts are with all the people affected.
We have 36 tower blocks across the city and they are all maintained to high standards with fire safety as a top priority. A number of those blocks have external cladding and whilst we are confident that the cladding is of the correct standard, to be certain, we will undergo urgent checks with the manufacturers
We want to reassure all of our tenants that all fire safety measures are in place:
- We carry out daily fire safety checks in all blocks.
- We have professionally undertaken fire risk assessments on a 12 month basis with action plans to remedy any issues.
- We use fire retardant paint in communal areas to prevent the spread of fire and we are confident that the correct specification is in place.
- Dry risers are in place and are regularly checked.
- Smoke alarms are installed in every flat.
We work closely with the local fire service and they have not advised of any issues. The current advice in the event of a fire is for tenants to stay put in their flats, as this is the safest way to manage an evacuation. The fire service will isolate the fire and then start the rescue of residents. This may be reviewed as a result of today’s incident.
We will look carefully to see if any lessons can be learned from this terrible incident in London and we will give you a further update by the end of this week. We will also provide regular ongoing updates as necessary.
Our thoughts are with all the people affected and if you have any particular concerns or questions, please contact us.
- Last Updated: Wednesday, 14 June 2017 11:56
- Published: Wednesday, 14 June 2017 10:53