Listen and Translate

Can I carry out alterations?

Your lease states that you cannot carry out any improvements, alterations or additions.

However, we realise that you may want to improve your homes and we will give consent for certain works, providing they are carried out in a professional manner and by qualified trades-people.    

Examples of works where consent will be necessary are listed below:

  • Installation of new windows and exterior doors.
  • Removal of any internal walls.
  • Plumbing, electrical and gas works.
  • Laminate flooring.
  • Loft conversions (see below).

Your improvement works must not alter the existing style or look of the property or have a detrimental affect on the remaining units in the block. this would be breaking the conditions of the lease we have the right to ask you to re-instate the property. If you do not, we can enforce the conditions of the lease and if this should happen, you will be responsible for any costs we incur.

Please note that even if we give you consent you may still need Planning Permission and/or Building Regulations approval before you start the work. To find out if you do need permission visit the City of Wolverhampton Council's website

If you have any doubts or require any advice prior to carrying out works, please contact us

If you sell the property in the future, solicitors will ask questions about consent for alterations so it is in your interest to discuss your alterations ans improvements with us. 

Front doors in communal blocks

If you own a property in a block and you have a door that opens out into an enclosed communal area and forms part of a fire escape, your door and frame, must have a certified fire resistance of at least 30 minutes. This is known as the FD30 standard. If yours door does not meet FD30 standard, you are in breach of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which would be breaking the law. 

If you plan to change your front door please contact us first.

Loft conversions

When you bought your flat the loft space was not included as part of the sale. This is beacuse we may need access to carry out repairs to the roof or wiring. You cannot convert the loft into a habitable room or install a window.

Landlord's right of entry

If at any time we have reason to become concerned about works you have carried out either with or without consent, we, as Managing Agent for the City Council, have the right, providing we give you reasonable notice, to enter the premises to view the works.


Alteration permission request

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.