Money and Benefits
Before you apply for Universal Credit, you’ll need to gather some information together. This will make sure you only have to do the application once, and will help you to get Universal Credit as quickly as possible if you’re eligible.
You, and your partner, will need to have the following details before you start your application:
- Your postcode - if you are homeless, please speak to a member of staff at Wolverhampton Homes for advice.
- Mobile phone number
- Details of your bank, building society or credit union account - if you don’t have a bank account, you’ll need to open one. Our Money Smart team can help you with this
- Email address - if you don’t have one, our customer services staff will be able to help you set one up.
- Photo ID - your passport, driving licence, debit or credit card – these are not photo ID, although could be used to verify your identity.
- Your income details - e.g. wage slips, and details of any income that’s not from work e.g. pension or insurance plan.
- Your benefit details - if you’re receiving any benefits, you will need to provide information about what benefit, how much and how often you receive these.
- Your children’s details - child benefit reference numbers which can be found on child benefit letters, it will start with CHB and is made up of 8 numbers and 2 letters, e.g. CHB12345678 AB.
- Your childcare costs - you will need to provide details if you want to claim for childcare costs.
- Rent costs - how much rent you pay. If you don’t know, ask Wolverhampton Homes or your managing agent who will give you the information.
- Date you moved into your property - which is the not necessarily the same as your tenancy start date. If you are a Wolverhampton Homes tenant, you should tick council tenant on your UC claim.
- Landlord’s address and phone number - Wolverhampton Homes, Hickman Avenue, Chillington Fields, Wolverhampton WV1 2BY. Telephone number 01902 556789
- Savings/investments - details of any savings you have, and any other capital investments, e.g. shares, or property that you don’t live in.
IMPORTANT: To find out if you’re eligible to receive council tax reduction benefit, you must complete a separate claim form. For details of how to claim online go to: www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/counciltaxreduction
For free help with completing online Universal Credit claims contact:
Access to Business
The Curve 81 Tempest Street, Wolverhampton
Tel: 01902 572397
Bilston Resource Centre
St Michael’s Mission Wolverhampton Street, WV14 0LT
Tel: 01902 353705
10 Red Lion Street, Wolverhampton, WV1 4HL
Tel: 01902 714224 or 0800 122 3510
Agencies providing free practical support to help you manage your money, and help with budgeting to make sure all your priority bills such as rent and council tax are paid:
Money Smart Team Wolverhampton Homes
Wednesfield Housing office, Alfred Squire Road, WV11 1XU
26 Snow Hill, WolverhamptonWV2 4AD
Tel : 0344 411 1444 (advice line)
Need help managing your money?
Want to make sure your rent and bills are paid in time?
Open a Budget Account with Wolverhampton City Credit Union.
If you already have a place of your own you’ll know just how much it costs to run. On top of rent and council tax, there are utilities such as gas, electricity and water.
Before you press 'submit' on your Universal Credit claim, you need to confirm your identity using Verify, an online identity-checking system. The Government uses this system to check that you really are you. This stops anyone else from making a claim for Universal Credit in your name.
Registering with Verify also allows you to check:
- Your State Pension information
- Your Driving Licence
- Your Working Tax Credits
You will be unable to make your claim for Universal Credit until you have verified your identity using Verify. Learn more about Verify by watching the Youtube video at the bottom of this page.
"I'm not claiming Universal Credit. Do I still need to Verify?"
Yes! None of us know what is around the corner. Your circumstances could change, requiring you to claim out of work benefits. Get ahead of the game by verifying your identity now so that you're ready to make your claim for Universal when or if the time comes.
Click here to Verify today
> Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says: "If you have an online Universal Credit account, you can also sign in with GOV.UK Verify"
> then choose "This is my first time using Verify."
Is your washing machine broken or do you need a new cooker for your home? Right Price Electricals can help, with their exclusive offers.