Listen and Translate

Before you apply for Universal Credit, you’ll need to gather some information together. This will make sure you only have to do the application once, and will help you to get Universal Credit as quickly as possible if you’re eligible.


You, and your partner, will need to have the following details before you start your application:

  • Your postcode - if you are homeless, please speak to a member of staff at Wolverhampton Homes for advice.
  • Mobile phone number
  • Details of your bank, building society or credit union account - if you don’t have a bank account, you’ll need to open one. Our Money Smart team can help you with this
  • Email address - if you don’t have one, our customer services staff will be able to help you set one up.
  • Photo ID - your passport, driving licence, debit or credit card – these are not photo ID, although could be used to verify your identity.
  • Your income details - e.g. wage slips, and details of any income that’s not from work e.g. pension or insurance plan.
  • Your benefit details - if you’re receiving any benefits, you will need to provide information about what benefit, how much and how often you receive these.
  • Your children’s details - child benefit reference numbers which can be found on child benefit letters, it will start with CHB and is made up of 8 numbers and 2 letters, e.g. CHB12345678 AB.
  • Your childcare costs - you will need to provide details if you want to claim for childcare costs.
  • Rent costs - how much rent you pay. If you don’t know, ask Wolverhampton Homes or your managing agent who will give you the information.
  • Date you moved into your property - which is the not necessarily the same as your tenancy start date. If you are a Wolverhampton Homes tenant, you should tick council tenant on your UC claim.
  • Landlord’s address and phone number - Wolverhampton Homes, Market Street, Wolverhampton, WV1 3AG. Telephone number 01902 556789
  • Savings/investments - details of any savings you have, and any other capital investments, e.g. shares, or property that you don’t live in.

IMPORTANT: To find out if you’re eligible to receive council tax reduction benefit, you must complete a separate claim form. For details of how to claim online go to:

For free help with completing online Universal Credit claims contact:

Access to Business
The Curve 81 Tempest Street, Wolverhampton
Tel: 01902 572397

Bilston Resource Centre
St Michael’s Mission Wolverhampton Street, WV14 0LT
Tel: 01902 353705

10 Red Lion Street, Wolverhampton, WV1 4HL
Tel: 01902 714224 or 0800 122 3510 

Agencies providing free practical support to help you manage your money, and help with budgeting to make sure all your priority bills such as rent and council tax are paid:

Money Smart Team Wolverhampton Homes
Wednesfield Housing office, Alfred Squire Road, WV11 1XU

Citizens Advice
26 Snow Hill, WolverhamptonWV2 4AD
Tel : 0344 411 1444 (advice line)

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.