Believing in accessibility for all

Common alterations requests

We are often asked for permission to carry out certain works that are common among residents, such as decoration, new flooring, and CCTV. Will we not refuse permission without good cause. We may, in some circumstances, give permission subject to certain conditions. Learn more about the most common requests below.
  • Decorating

    Textured wall paint or stipple finishes should not be applied to the walls or ceilings of your home.

  • Laminate flooring

    Wood and laminate flooring can be very noisy. For that reason, we will not give permission for hard floorings in flats on the first floor or above.

  • Built in furniture

    Please remember that any built in furniture may be affected by repairs or maintenance work. You may be asked to remove built in furniture if we need to carry out work behind it.

  • Electrical fittings and gas appliances

    If you would like to request permission for electrical works or for a new gas installation, please contact us.

    Electrical and gas works should always be carried out by certified tradespeople. You will also need to provide a copy of the relevant certificates to show that the works carried out conform to current regulations.

  • Driveways, dropped kerbs and the tenant buy-in scheme

    If you don’t already have a dropped kerb, you will need to apply to the council’s Highways team to have one. You may also need permission from the council’s Planning department.

    Please contact the council by email at or by phone on 01902 551155.

    If you want to park your vehicle on your drive, you will need a dropped kerb and a hard standing. Under the tenant buy-in scheme, we’ll arrange all the work for you and we’ll even pay 40% of the cost, up to £1,200. We can also offer monthly interest-free payment plans of up to two years, on the condition that you pay by Direct Debit.*

    If you would like a no-obligation quote for a driveway, please contact us.

    *Please note that this offer is subject to availability.

  • Sheds, walls and fences

    If you would like to request permission for structural alterations, including porches, verandas, sheds, walls, and fences, please contact us.

    Please include as much detail as possible about the alterations you would like to make. You may also need to apply for Building Regulations and Planning approval for this work. You must abide by all regulations and specifications; this includes the use of proper materials.

    Learn more.

  • CCTV and security

    Before asking for permission for CCTV, first think about the problem you are trying to tackle.

    If you're worried about crime, first check with your local police about crime prevention measures. Better locks, security lighting, or an alarm system may be more effective and less expensive than CCTV.

    If you still believe you need CCTV, think about which areas you will need to cover. To request permission, please contact us.