What is district heating?
If you live in a building connected to a district heating system, your heating and hot water is produced by a central boiler or group of boilers. Instead of having a boiler in your home, you will have a heating unit that looks and works in a similar way.
How does it work?
A central boiler room located at the Heath Town Boiler House pumps hot water through a series of pipes to the individual homes connected to the system. The Switch2 pre-payment metering system means you only pay for the heating and hot water that you use.
What are the benefits of district heating?
- The energy you use is provided locally using a low carbon source, helping to reduce emissions and keep Wolverhampton green.
- Other forms of heating can be expensive. District heating is generally cheaper for residents.
- If you own your home, you don’t need to buy or service a boiler because we maintain all the heating equipment for you.
Who are Switch2?
Switch2 provides your heating and hot water metering and billing services. They work closely with us to keep your heating and hot water costs down.
Pay as you go (PAYG) customers
PAYG customers do not receive monthly bills. Instead, you are in full control of your heating and hot water usage. You just need to add credit to your G6 Pre-Payment Unit (PPU) using your Switch2 payment card. There are a range of top-up options available:
- Switch2 mobile app – simply download the Switch2 app. Once installed on your phone, you can make immediate payments when you need to or set up regular, automatic top-ups.
- online – using the Switch2 website
- by phone – call 0333 3139171 to make a payment over the phone 24/7. You will just need your unique customer reference number and a credit or debit card
- PayPoint – visit any store that displays the PayPoint sign. Here, you can top-up by cash, credit or debit card, or by cheque. You will need your PAYG card. Learn more about PayPoint
- post office – you can top-up at your local post office by cash, cheque, credit or debit card. You will need your Switch2 payment card
If you would like a demonstration of how the Switch2 pre-payment system works, would like to know more about it, or are having problems with your heating or hot water, please contact us.
If you’re having problems with your meter or making payments, please contact Switch2 on 0333 321 2010. Their opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:30pm.
Information about fuel costs
We operate the district heating schemes on a ‘not for profit’ basis. All fuel costs associated with the scheme, including the standing charges, are recovered using an all-inclusive variable kilo watt hour (kWh) rate.
The kWh rate is reviewed yearly to make sure residents are charged fairly for their usage. You do not need to read your meter or provide meter readings, as these are collected automatically. Please note that there is a charge of £5 for replacing payment cards.