Believing in accessibility for all

Covid-19 update

We have made changes to some of our services that may affect you.

Find out more

Tenancy agreement

Before you are given the keys to your home, you will be asked to read and sign a tenancy agreement. This agreement contains lots of useful and important information, including what you can expect from us as a landlord and what we expect from you in return.

It also forms a legal contract between you and the City of Wolverhampton Council. That’s why it is important that you read the tenancy agreement carefully before signing it. If you are unable to meet the terms of the agreement, you may be asked to give up your tenancy or face possible eviction.

We want our customers to enjoy their home with peace of mind, and that is why we are here if you have any questions about your tenancy agreement or need support managing your tenancy.

  • Introductory tenancies

    We offer most new tenants an introductory tenancy. This is a 12-month trial tenancy, and it comes with most of the same rights and responsibilities as a secure tenancy.

    If you have an introductory tenancy, the main differences are that you cannot:

    • buy your home
    • exchange or assign your home
    • take in lodgers
    • carry out your own improvements

    If you keep to the terms of your tenancy, you will automatically become a secure tenant after 12 months.

    If you struggle to meet the terms of your introductory tenancy, we may extend it for a further 6-12 months. If you breach the terms of your tenancy, in rare cases we may ask you to give the tenancy up or face possible eviction. Eviction is only ever a last resort, as our focus is to provide safe, secure and good quality housing that helps you to get on in life.

    Read a sample introductory tenancy agreement

  • Secure tenancies

    If you are an introductory tenant and have kept to the terms of your tenancy, you will automatically become a secure tenant after 12 months.

    Customers with a secure tenancy are granted extra rights, which include:

    • the right to buy their home
    • the right to make reasonable improvements
    • the right to exchange their home
    • the right to succeed – this means that you can pass your tenancy onto to someone else in certain circumstances
    • the right to take in lodgers, subject to our written consent
    • the right to repair
    • the right to consultation

    This information and more will be covered in your secure tenancy agreement.

    We are here to help if you have any questions about your tenancy agreement or if you need support managing your tenancy.

    Read a sample secure tenancy agreement

  • Demoted tenancies

    If you have a secure tenancy and breach the terms of your tenancy agreement by engaging in anti-social behaviour, we may ask the courts to grant us a demotion order. If granted, this means that your secure tenancy will be downgraded to a demoted tenancy for 12 months. Demoted tenants lose certain rights, such as the right to buy or exchange their home.

    Find out more about what we consider to be anti-social behaviour

  • Updating your records

    It is important that you tell us straight away about any changes to your household. If we are not made aware of the changes, you could find yourself in breach of your tenancy. If properly recorded, certain changes could also potentially increase your housing priority, making it easier for you to find a more suitable home.


    Adding a partner to your secure tenancy

    To add your partner to your tenancy, you just need to send us proof of their identity, such as a copy of their driving licence or passport and their national insurance number. You will also need to provide evidence that they have been living with you for the last 12 months, such as a utility bill or a bank statement. If you are married, please send us a copy of your marriage certificate.

    We can only add partners to tenancies where the rent has been paid in full and the account is up to date.


    Changing your name

    To change your name on our records, simply send us a copy of your marriage certificate or deed poll.


    Adding a child to your records

    If you’ve had a child, please send us a copy of their birth certificate and we will add them to your records as a new member of your household.