Believing in accessibility for all

Ending a tenancy

Deciding whether to end your tenancy is a big decision. If you’re thinking about ending your tenancy because you feel you have no other choice, please speak with us so that we can offer you advice and support that might allow you to keep your home.

Before ending your tenancy there are some things you should know.

  • Giving notice

    Before moving out, you will need to write to us giving at least four weeks’ notice. In your notice, you should include:

    • the date
    • your address
    • the date on which you would like the tenancy to end – this must be a Monday at least four weeks after your notice
    • the address of the property you will be moving to
    • your signature

    We prefer to receive notices by email. If you choose to send us your notice by email or using our contact form, you will need to attach it as a letter. Alternatively, you can download and complete the termination of tenancy form.

    Download termination of tenancy form

    If someone lives with you, please tell them the date you plan to leave - they will need to leave on the same day if not before. This includes joint tenants, family members, friends or lodgers. If they are worried about their future living arrangements, they can make a housing application through Homes In the City and we will support them to find a new home.

    During the notice period, we may ask you to allow a potential new tenant to look around your home. Please rest assured that we will contact you in advance and will accompany the tenant on the day.

  • Other people you should tell

    When you give notice to end your tenancy, there will be other people you will need to tell and things you will have to do. These may include:

    • booking a removal van
    • updating your details for Council Tax and any benefits you receive
    • asking Royal Mail to redirect any post to your new address
    • arranging for your telephone, satellite or broadband services to be disconnected or transferred to your new address
    • taking meter readings and updating your energy suppliers before you leave
  • Before you leave

    Before you move out, we will arrange a date and time with you to inspect the property. Please leave the property empty, clean and tidy. Your rent should also be paid in full up to your tenancy end date, even if you move out before this date.  

    CT Furniture or a local charity may collect any unwanted furniture or electrical items free of charge. Please contact the company directly to find out more.

    If you have any gas appliances, such as a cooker, you should use a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to remove them safely. You should also use a qualified electrician to remove any hardwired electrical appliances.  

  • Returning your keys

    Please return your keys by 12 midday on the Monday when your tenancy ends. If you return your keys after this, you will be charged for another full week’s rent.

    Please hand your keys in at our Wednesfield Alfred Squire Road office. Put the keys in an envelope and post them through the blue letterbox next to the customer entrance – please be sure to clearly mark your address on the envelope and let us know if you would like a receipt by including a note with your keys.

  • Possible charges after your tenancy has ended

    It is important that all your accounts with us are paid before you move out. If you are having financial difficulty, we may agree for you to pay the debt at a later date or in instalments.   

    We trust our tenants to leave their homes in a good condition. Where this does not happen, we have no option but to charge you for any costs incurred in returning the property to the condition it was let to you in. Things you could be charged for include:

    • damage to the property, except for expected wear and tear
    • the removal and disposal of unwanted items such as carpets, laminate flooring or items left in sheds, lofts, outhouses and gardens
    • tending to your garden if it has been severely neglected
    • missing fixtures and fittings
    • deep cleaning if necessary
    • not returning keys on time, including those for outhouses, sheds, windows and meter cupboards

    The charge for each of these can range from £50 to over £200.

  • What to do if the tenant has died

    If you’re a relative or have lasting power of attorney for a tenant who lived alone and has died, please complete and return a termination of tenancy form on their behalf.

    Download next of kin termination of tenancy form

    Download power of attorney termination of tenancy form

    We will need to know details of their next of kin (closest relative), your address or the address of the person dealing with the tenant’s affairs, and the date the keys will be returned to us. We will also need a copy of the death certificate.

    We understand that the death of a relative can be a difficult time and we will support you to get their housing affairs in order. More advice and guidance on what to do in the event of a death is available on the council’s website.

    Find out more about what to do after someone has died