Believing in accessibility for all

Transferring a tenancy

In certain circumstances, it may be possible for you to pass your tenancy onto someone else, or for someone else to pass their tenancy onto you.

If you are a secure tenant, you may be able to swap your home with another secure tenant. Any special conditions, rights or responsibilities associated with your new home will then apply to you.

Find out more about mutual exchanges

If you are a secure tenant, you may be able to transfer your tenancy to your partner or a member of your family over the age of 18, provided they have been living with you for at least 12 months.

You will need our consent and all parties must agree to the assignment for it to go ahead.

The assignment of a tenancy can only happen once.

When a tenant dies, the tenancy can legally be passed onto a spouse or civil partner, or in some cases, another family member. This process is called ‘succession’.

There can only be one succession to a tenancy. If you are a joint tenant and the other tenant has died, the tenancy will have automatically transferred to you by right of survivorship. This means that there can be no further successions.

If you are not the spouse or civil partner, and you have succeeded to the tenancy of a property that is larger than you need, we will support you to find a more suitable home.

If you are living in a council home and the tenant has died, please contact us right away so we can offer you help and support. Please send us a copy of the death certificate. Once we have received a copy of the death certificate, we will make a decision about the succession within 28 days.