Listen and Translate

GUIDANCE NOTE: Landlord Permission -

Parking and Construction of a Vehicle Hard Standing (Driveway)


  1. Your conditions of tenancy state:

  • You may only park one private or light goods taxation class motor vehicle in a designated parking area or on the dwelling where a hard-standing and dropped kerb are provided. You may only park further vehicles if there is space for all vehicles to fit entirely on the hard-standing safely. 

  • You must obtain our written permission before you park, or allow to be parked by any other person, any motorised camper van, trailer caravan, trailer, HGV, boat, any additional vehicle or any vehicle not permitted in any clause in the tenancy agreement. This applies to hard-standings, parking spaces and car parks provided by us for the use of tenants. We will only grant permission if there is no adverse effect upon neighbours or other occupiers.

  1. Permission is required from Wolverhampton Homes for:

  • The parking of any additional vehicles

  • To install a drive or hard standing

  • Removal or alteration to any boundary walls or fencing


  1. Dropped kerbs and footway crossings.

If you are making a new access into the garden across the footpath you will need to obtain permission from the City of Wolverhampton Council to drop the kerbs. The pavement may need strengthening to protect any services buried in the ground such as water pipes. Only accredited contractors will be able to carry out work on the public highway The construction of a vehicle crossing does not give the occupier any particular rights except to drive across the footway to gain access to their property.


  1. Planning Permission.

Planning Permission is required from the City of Wolverhampton Council if:

  • The property is situated on a classified road - A, B or C

  • The property is within a conservation area

  • The property is listed

  • If the building is divided into several properties, e.g. flats

  • Is for offices, shops etc

  • The new or replacement driveway is over five square metres, is impermeable or does not direct rainwater to a naturally permeable area within your property

  • The Planning Division will also require a copy of the Permission from the land owner


If you are in any doubt about planning information you should contact City of Wolverhampton Council Planning Division on (01902) 556026 before undertaking any work.


  1. Building Regulations.

Generally, a new driveway or patio area does not require building regulations approval. However, you will need to make sure that any alterations do not make access to the dwelling any less satisfactory than it was before e.g. changing levels to introduce steps where none existed before would be a contravention of the regulations.


  1. Types of driveway.

  • In general, you will not need planning permission if a new or replacement driveway of any size uses ‘permeable surfacing’. Permeable surfaces allow liquids to pass through them, examples include gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt.


  • An impermeable driveway such as one made of certain types of tarmac or concrete prevents liquids from passing through. You will also not generally need planning permission for a new/replacement ‘impermeable’ driveway of any size, as long as rainwater drains to a naturally permeable area within your own land.


  1. Construction:

All hard standing should be constructed over a sub-base which is a layer of compacted gravel that spreads the load from wheels so that the soil below is not overstressed. It is important to place a layer of permeable fabric material known as a geotextile over the soil at the base of the hard standing.


  1. Permeable surfaces allow water to soak into it.

These can be built with:

  • Porous asphalt

  • Porous concrete blocks

  • Permeable concrete or clay block paving

  • Loose gravel

(Plastic or concrete reinforcement systems to strengthen the ground and reduce erosion are available for use with grass or gravel)


To work effectively permeable surfaces should be laid over a sub-base which allows water to pass through and also store the water for a while if it cannot soak into the ground as fast as the rain falls.



B. Impermeable surfaces do not allow water to soak into it.

These can be built with:

  • Brick paving blocks vibrated onto a 250mm sand and hardcore base

  • Tarmac – a 25mm sub base and top layer of 70mm 1/8 topping

  • Concrete - not less than 75mm of suitable hardcore or shale compacted base covered by not less than 75mm of concrete mix, not weaker than 5:2.5:1. The aggregate to be not less than 18mm gauge

  • Paving slabs - laid on a firmly prepared base



  1. Conditions to which Landlords Permission is subject:

  1. All work is to be carried out at the tenants own expense and shall incur no cost to Wolverhampton Homes


  1. The tenant must obtain any appropriate planning approval, where applicable


  1. The tenant must obtain any appropriate Building Regulation consent, where applicable


  1. All work is to be carried out by a competent person/contractor


  1. The tenant is responsible for any damage to property, services i.e. gas, electricity, water, phone, TV, etc or personal injury suffered by the installation, maintenance or removal of works undertaken and is urged to ensure they or their contractor has appropriate insurance to indemnify Wolverhampton Homes against all liability


  1. Any damage shall be made good at the tenants own expense and in such a fashion to match the existing both in style and quality of finish


  1. The tenant is responsible for any future maintenance or repairs of the works undertaken


  1. All materials shall conform to current British and European standards and specifications


  1. The parking area must be built to proper falls to avoid surface water being retained or discharged onto a pedestrian footpath, suitable drainage must be provided within the boundaries of the property


  1. Where hard standings are constructed over drains proper access to those drains must be maintained. Any manholes incorporated must be provided with heavy duty covers


  1. The upper surface of the hard standing must be at least 150mm below the damp proof course of the dwelling


  1. The tenant must at their own expense make the opening in the front boundary. Should part demolition of a wall/fence be required to allow for vehicle access then brick pillars or timber posts will need to be constructed / fitted


  1. Details of the Waste Management arrangements for the project and how waste will be consigned are to be provided


  1. No obstruction, nuisance or annoyance is to be caused


  1. Where consent is given you must allow our staff reasonable access to inspect the work at any time


  1. Upon completion of the work the tenant must notify Wolverhampton Homes so an inspection can be carried out if required


  1. When you end your tenancy and leave a property with a hard standing, if it is in good condition then Wolverhampton Homes will take over the maintenance. However, if it is in poor condition you will be requested to make good or take up the hard standing and reinstate the garden and fences, etc before you leave. Failure to do so will result in the work being undertaken and the costs recharged to you


  1. All works shall be completed within a period of 6 months from the date of the approval letter.


Additional guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens is available at:



This is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.