Listen and Translate

When you move into your property there are things you may want to do to make it into a home. You may want to get a pet, make alterations or run a business from your home. Here are a few things you may find useful.

Animals and Pets 

If you are considering getting a pet, please take note of the following:

You must:

  • Make sure that it is suitable for your home and garden, and it must not annoy or frighten other people. 
  • Not keep a dog in a flat or maisonette with a shared entrance (unless it is a registered guide dog for a blind person or a registered hearing dog for a deaf person). 
  • Not breed any animals or birds at the property without written permission.
  • Not allow any animal you keep to roam unsupervised or to cause a nuisance. 
  • Not allow any animals to foul in the shared areas or roads and footpaths.
  • Not keep livestock, such as horses, donkeys, goats, pigs, cattle, ducks, geese and chickens etc at the property.
  • Be responsible for providing and maintaining any fencing needed to control your animal.
  • Keep your property, gardens and communal area clear of faeces and left over food at all times.

Running a Business From Home 

Thinking of setting up a small business from your home? You will need our written permission first. We will normally grant permission as long as the business does not cause nuisance or problems for your neighbours or the area in which you live.

Examples of where we would give permission include:

  • Child Minding Services (provided you are registered with Social Services).
  • Telesales or admin work.

Examples of where we would not give permission include:  

  • Any occupation using noisy machinery or creating loud noise.
  • Any occupation using hazardous materials.
  • Car and Vehicle Repairs.

Simply contact us with details of the type of work you plan to do. The business must be for legal purposes and comply with planning, building or environmental health requirements.

Making Improvements to your Home 

If you are a secure tenant and wish to improve your home or make any alterations, you must have our written permission beforehand. You will need to ensure that a suitably qualified person carries out the work and that the work complies with the Building Regulations and Planning Requirements

 Examples of Improvements and alterations include:

  • Installation of showers 
  • Installing a TV aerial or satellite dish 
  • Change to utilities such as installing a water meter 
  • Erecting a shed or greenhouse 
  • Replacing internal or external doors 
  • Laying wood or laminate flooring in flats 
  • Installing a drive   

You will be responsible for the future repair and maintenance of your alteration or improvement. If you terminate your tenancy, you must ensure that the new installations are left in full working order, or the original items refitted.

Making an improvement will not increase your rent. In fact, any work done after 1 April 1994, may entitle you to compensation when you end your tenancy.

To apply for permission, or for more information please contact us.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.