Believing in accessibility for all

Grants and support

The Wolverhampton Homes Home Improvement Agency is a service dedicated to helping older people, people with disabilities and vulnerable people to live in their own homes safely and comfortably.

Man Putting Up Shelf

Are you finding it difficult to live independently at home?

Are you struggling to get upstairs or around your home, worried about trips and falls or is your home cold and draughty? We may be able to help with our range of services to help tenants and homeowners in the city to live safely and independently in their homes.

As we get older, many of us will experience health or mobility issues which can make it more difficult to live comfortably at home. But there are a number of modifications that can help to improve accessibility and personal safety, allowing you to enjoy your home again.

Our main aim is to support you to increase your wellbeing through living independently at home. Most of our work is for residents who are 65 or over, but if you or a member of your household (including children) have a disability or long-term condition, are on a low income or are coming out of hospital we may also be able to help.

What support is available?

Anyone with a disability who has had an assessment from a Social Services occupational therapist is eligible. Facilities grants can range from minor works such as installing ramps to major works such as extensions (up to a maximum of £30,000).

If you think you may be eligible and would like to discuss an initial assessment from an Occupational Therapist please call the City Council Independent Living Service (ILS) on 01902 553666.

If you are an owner-occupier in Wolverhampton, aged over 65 and on income-related benefits you may be eligible for the Healthy Homes Grant. Currently, this falls under two categories:

  • £0 - £500 through a non-repayable grant
  • £501 - £10,000 through a repayable grant (loan). A charge will be added to the property through a local land charge and the amount of the loan will be repaid in full on sale, change of ownership or demolition of the property. The charge will remain on the property for 10 years.

We may also be able to help if you are: 

  • aged 18-64
  • are on a qualifying benefit
  • are parent or guardian of a disabled child

We can:

  • provide grants or loans to remove hazards from your home, this can include electrical work, roofing, UPVC windows and doors
  • offer a repairs service
  • provide the option for all works to be carried out by a trusted tradesperson
  • offer advice and support in adapting your home including Disabled Facilities Grants
  • discuss housing options with you and help you to make choices about your housing needs such as downsizing or moving to another area
  • point you to other organisations, including charities, who could help you
  • give advice and information on energy efficiency and work with you to make your home more energy efficient to reduce bills
  • complete inspections after work has been carried out to ensure that you are happy with the service you have received


Find out more

To discuss how we could help you please contact us or email


Wolverhampton Homes provides a Telecare service to support vulnerable people to live independently in their own homes and communities and provides reassurance to individuals, carers and families 24/7.

The Telecare service is available to all residents, whether you own or rent your home. 

Find out more about Telecare.

  • Services

    We assess each application individually and provide recommendations on the work that will make the biggest difference to your health and wellbeing. Some of our main services include:

    • new installation or replacement of central heating and electrical wiring
    • a handyperson service for small repairs and adaptations such as fitting stair rails, grab rails, handrails and key safes
    • major adaptations such as stairlifts, ramps and hoists
    • structural works including roofing and widening doorways
    • bathroom adaptations including downstairs toilets
    • personal safety pendants with 24/7 alert system 
    • arranging clear-ups if your home has become too cluttered
    • adaptations for residents in mobile homes and permanently moored houseboats
  • Qualifying benefits
    • Income support
    • Income-related Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Income-based Employment Support Allowance
    • Guaranteed Pension Credit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Working Tax or Child Tax Credit with income under £15,050 (subject to review)
    • Universal Credit
  • Our process

    Our process

    We operate in partnership with the City of Wolverhampton Council, so if you are a homeowner or private renter in the city you can contact us directly to talk about your needs and any home modifications you feel would benefit you. You can read the city council's Housing Assistance Policy here.

    When your application has been assessed, we will talk you through the work that has been approved. Once you are happy to go ahead, we will agree a start date with you. Your support worker will be available throughout the process should you have any questions or concerns, and will manage the project from start to finish so you have complete peace of mind.

  • For more information or to apply

    If you’d like an initial discussion about your needs, whether you may be eligible for a grant or you have any questions please contact Homes Direct or send us an email. 


    Contact us